Friday, August 1, 2008

A happy ending

Happy 30th Betsey Johnson!

Last night, to conclude my internship, I was my editor's "plus one" for the Betsey Johnson 30th Anniversary Party at her Soho boutique. It was awesome, really, the best way I could have imagined to end my summer in the city. While I couldn't get a pic with Betsey herself, I did get two feet from her and some shots of her mingling. She was so cool, however due to the space being packed from the dressing rooms to the flower-wallpapered walls, there were no cartwheels. Even without her cartwheels, the party was fun. Everything was pink; from the cocktails (cosmos, pink champagne, you name it, it was pink!), the cupcakes, twizzlers, m&ms, etc. And everyone was hot (ok, so maybe it was due to limited space and overcrowding, but all of the people were pretty, seriously, not a single ugly human anywhere). The cocktail waiters were all models, my editor even recognized a few from past shoots. All in all it was a really fun event.



And just like the Oscars, there was a goodie bag! It was really exciting, kind of like Christmas. I went home with a watch (one that I'd actually been oogling on her website!), some perfume, some makeup, a bracelet and a thong. Ok, so I'm done talking about me and my time, I want to take a stroll down memory lane with some of my favorite (recent) Betsey looks.

The Fall 2008 RTW collection had some really fun pieces, but I absolutely loved look 27, with the feminine overalls and floral blouse underneath. It's so Betsey, I absolutely love it! This look epitomizes what I think is her eccentric, feminine aesthetic, but all the while completely wearable. She amazes me every time, and this is definitely something I hope to see girls wearing in a few months.


Her prom-themed Spring 2008 RTW blew me away, it really did. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it on style.com. She was adorable at the end when she and her granddaughter wore the same dress - precious! But of the collection I thought 21 had something special to it. With the quirky glasses, the corsage and the tiara, this looks like it really could have been a girl at prom - it's totally relatable, but still fashion.


The Fall 2007 RTW collection (other than being her most dated on style.com) is one of her more sophisticated, rather than being fanciful. I love, though, that even in such a sophisticated collection, she was able to introduce a little bit of girlish flair. Look 49 is fanciful and feminine, really sophisticated, and a little French looking. It's a fantastic garment, and it's one I wish I could have hanging in my closet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were in the same room with Betsey Johnson. I'm so jealous. I love her style and design. She makes fun pieces and she one of the few designers that can make trashy look very classy. You should post a picture of what you got in your goodie bag... :)

**Register as a new user @ http://www.i-style.us and comment on any blog to be entered for a $75 shopping spree**