Friday, July 25, 2008

Lost in translation

Throughout my summer in New York I’ve seen many a crazy fashion statement. And as an intern at BlackBook I even blogged about a few of them (ahem, the wall-clock purse?!). So when I was standing in line at Starbucks and saw a man wearing gladiator sandals I didn’t point, look twice or even giggle. No, like the blogger that BlackBook molded me into, I stealthily captured the image so I could share it here.



Gladiators are one of this summer’s trends, just like the maxi dress and tie-dye (apparently), but there are some trends that don’t translate from gender to gender, and some that do. And I must say (after a lot of thought), this is a trend that can work for both men and women. With the right hardwares – like this pair – gladiators can be butch enough for a guy or trendy enough for a girl. However, not every shoe can make the gender jump as easily. Like wedges.


I know every other person has a different opinion about this, but I just can’t get my mind around man wedges. Earlier this summer at the menswear shows Fendi introduced these red, patent man wedges. And I don’t think wedges can be masculine. Gladiators yes, wedges no.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I'd like to think anyone can wear anything, you may have a point here. But, I do also think the shoe would look differently if it weren't pictured with peddle pushers also. But, I really like those shoes and would totally wear them to work.

**Register as a new user @ http://www.i-style.us and comment on any blog to be entered for a $75 shopping spree**

PJ said...

Hi Ashleigh,

Thank you very much for leaving your comment on my blog and telling me about your blog. Hope all is well with you.

Currently I have been re-organizing my links and am not looking into taking on more. But I will keep you posted if I plan to expand my blogroll. I will definitely check out your site constantly to stay updated with your latest posts.

Thank you again, and have a good weekend.

PJ