Friday, April 24, 2009

Beachy keen

A recent post on Fashionista sparked my interest. It was about beach makeup and the writer wondered what kind of woman needed to wear makeup to the beach, she thought only women uncomfortable in their own skin would do such things. The clear answer, at least in my opinion, is all women - so long as their face is equipped with makeup that has sunscreen.

Last fall Neutrogena came out with a new liquid, mineral foundation. Fortunately for me it was about the same time I ran out of my over-priced, can't-even-remember-the-name-of-it, department store foundation and decided to try something new. As a college student I'm out the in sun quite a bit between classes, and, thanks to genes from my dad, have a naturally oily t-zone. The then-new Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Liquid Makeup SPF 20 was the perfect solution. Needless to say, I snatched it up right quick and was incredibly happy with my new drug store, liquid, mineral foundation. It keeps my face clear and sun burn-free. The foundation pumps right onto a foundation brush that can compete with any line of designer makeup brushes - and that you automatically replace every time you buy a new bottle! Until something even more genius than this comes along, I know what I'm sticking with.


My biggest pet peeve about liquid foundation, however, is that it can leave your face looking unnatural (I don't care if you're a makeup artist trying to prove me wrong, I'm sticking to my guns here). Anytime a woman applies a liquid foundation it needs to be followed by powder. Another pet peeve, though, is when the powder is too light for the skin - something that happens far too often. It just takes away from the natural warmth any face has! Instead of a loose or pressed powder that would usually follow liquid foundation I opt for bronzer. A very light veil does the trick: it keeps the face looking clean and one-tone, while adding the natural warmth missing when you use any other powder. I've tried several bronzers and landed on Jane Iredale So-Bronze 2. It has two shades that when swept up on a brush together create a magnificent warmth and glow that looks healthy and natural all year long.



Now, using a foundation with SPF and finishing it with a bronzer, keeps skin protected at the beach - or out shopping - while still looking completely natural. Visit the same beach as the chick who wrote that one article for Fashionista and I'll bet she'll wonder how you got your skin to look so good, because you'll like you're not wearing any makeup at all. Dab on a little bit of cherry chapstick (also with SPF) and you're good to go.

No comments: