Sunday, October 4, 2009

The new, independent me

Before June the past two years of my life I was an afterthought unto myself. Everything was about me plus someone else. In early June things changed and my boyfriend, let's call him Brett, was no longer in the picture. This freed up a surprising amount of time and I was no longer my own afterthought. I could plan my future and include my own opinion, do what I wanted. Once that pin dropped lots of other things followed, including my wardrobe.

After two years with Brett I began to notice slight changes in my general, everyday appearance and attitude. Since June I've dropped 15 pounds and two dress sizes. I now describe my personal style as 'evolving' rather than 'preppy' or something that means Polos and Sperry's. In fact when Brett found out I bought a leather jacket he was shocked, he said it wasn't my style. In addition to the leather jacket I have since acquired a pair of skinny jeans (even I thought I would never own a pair, but I love them!) and countless other things that wouldn't have fit into my prescriptive 'style' before June. The most recent change happened last night when I dyed my hair. It's darker and a little redder.

All I'm saying is that major life events can have resounding effects that you don't even realize until much later. I love my life and my style and overall outlook on life right now. I can't say that my life is better now, but I am happy And that's what really matters. Plus I'm watching The Devil Wears Prada at this very moment and lusting for my life in New York, which will start sooner than I thought. Rather than moving right after graduation, I'm planning my last semester to be in New York and I just can't wait!

The only thing that could make this better? If my mom would release my October issues from hostage and send them to my apartment.

No comments: